Friday, September 16, 2011

CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION


In Paris, magazines aren't that big a deal. Yes, our kiosks are stocked with countless glossy editions catering to the variegated tastes of my countrymen but it is nothing like the United States. Fashion, sports, politics and gossip are pretty much all that the Gallic imagination can sustain. In America by contrast, every marginal interest has at least several periodicals devoted to it. Shrewd Investor, Video Game Review, Vegan Kitchen, Poker Chips and Tips, Farm Equipment Times and Better Triceps are among my favorite examples.

When I visit Los Angeles I love to trowel the voluminous newsstands of Hollywood hoping to stumble upon some esoteric niche. At one place I found no less than three magazines on the subject of solar panel de-installation, six colorful journals on Latin American economics and fourteen lushly photographed monthlies on the affluent Southern Californian "lifestyle."

The one that stuck out most conspicuously was a tasteful, understated issue called California Domicile. The reasons for my interest (and disappointment) are obvious.


1 comment:

john allen said...

Yes, we should have drinks by the pool, just as soon as humanly possible. Please don't cancel my 'subscription'.
Pinetop Allen